Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Bouquet of Freshly Sharpened Pencils


"Don't you love New York in the fall? It makes me wanna buy school supplies. I would send you a bouquet of newly sharpened pencils if I knew your name and address." – You’ve Got Mail

One of my ultimate favorite lines (and movies for that matter). Something about that movie – maybe it is the adorable Tom Hanks, or the chemistry between Meg Ryan and him, or maybe it is that it takes place in my favorite city during fall…whatever it is, I LOVE that movie. It doesn’t matter how many times I have seen the movie, if it is on tv, I am watching it.




Here in DC it has turn a bit crisp – well let me rephrase that – today’s high is 66. On my way to work this morning I couldn't help but notice that two people on the metro next to me had scarfs on…now I am not talking the lightweight uber trendy scarves, but rather the WOOL (winter, snow storm type) of scarf. Just when I started hearing the lyrics to Paula Abdul’s song, Rush Rush (you know you loved that song in the 80s – Rush Rush, Hurry Hurry lover come to me. Rush Rush) I saw out of the corner of my eye a woman wearing gloves! Leather gloves and a heavy coat! I had to just shake my head. Maybe I am just warm-blooded, but something tells me a high of 66 does not warrant breaking out the scarf and leather gloves.





Today
High: 66 Low: 48
Mostly Cloudy
Wind: WNW at 11 mph Precip.: 20% Humidity: 58%


Maybe I am just bitter that the cold weather is creeping up on us. Don’t get me wrong, I love fall, and chilly weather, sweaters and pumpkin everything, but for some reason this year I find myself wanting to hold on to summer for just a bit longer. I feel like a child who desperately wants to stay up just 10 more minutes, but I just am not ready to let summer go just yet. I can’t even bring myself to shop right now (and if you know me you know that is a feat in itself). Something about buying sweaters, and tights, and long pants right now only to have them hang in my closet just seems depressing. I want to hold on to my cotton sundresses for one more minute. My goal for this weekend is to switch out my closet, switch the summer to the fall clothes. I always find that I hold out on doing this until the very last minute (that and well in DC you never know if it is going to be 50 or 80 degrees). I suppose this weekend I will begrudgingly pull out the sweaters and fold my bright colored sun dresses until next year...now if only Mr.President's stuff wasn't taken over all the space in my closet!



Hope you are enjoying the crisp weather where you are – but hopefully you haven’t pulled out your wool scarf and gloves just yet!

1 comment:

  1. Thank goodness fall is here to hide the donuts and bagels

    ReplyDelete